Facebook Twitter Instagram RSS Feed

Why You Should NEVER Use Store Bought Seasoning Packets! And Homemade Mix Recipes


We all have these little packets in our kitchens.  And sometimes they can even be free with the right coupon and sales cycle.  But these little "freebies" aren't really free to our bodies.  Just look at what the ingredients on the package look like on a packet of store-bought fajita seasoning mix......


Yeah, uh, I'm not sure what half of that is, so why would I want to eat it?
Oh, and by the way, that Monosodium Glutamate item... cue the MSG.  Yep.  Tricky buggers.  And some MSG can be a wheat derivative... others come from corn or even soy; which are HIGHLY likely to be a GMO product.  So either way, I don't want to eat it.

I'm thinking that now you're questioning these little convenient packages and wondering what the alternatives are.  I know I did and now I have a pantry full of little jars of homemade seasonings.  It's way healthier, and honestly, it tastes way better in my opinion.

Homemade Cajun Seasoning
2 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
5 dashes of cayenne pepper (add more if you like it hotter)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
Mix all in a jar and label.

Homemade Taco Seasoning
*replaces one store-bought packet*
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
dash of cayenne pepper
Mix all together in a small bowl and use to replace one packet.  Can make a few batches and store on-hand for later use.  I do this and store in ziplock sandwich bags for easy use.

Any more seasoning mixes that you would like the homemade version of??  Let me know and I will try to post a homemade version of YOUR favorite seasoning mix!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment