Facebook Twitter Instagram RSS Feed

Weekly Update: Week of 3/23/2014

It's amazing how every year I forget about my love/hate relationship with Mother Nature this time of year.  It warms up, and I start getting excited about getting out and planting, and then the next HOUR (or so it seems), it's back down to frigid temperatures and spitting snow- like it's doing today.  :(

But, hey... it IS Ohio. LOL

And I have plenty of things to keep me busy.  Not that I'm motivated to do them with spring knocking on the door.  What're ya going to do??

So in the past few weeks, I've kept myself puttering around the house.  I am the kind of person who is ALWAYS thinking about a project, even if I'm not directly working on it.

And welcome to my next BIG project.  Yep, I want to downsize into one of these.
My DH thinks I'm crazy, but I think it's a great idea.  Talk about a minimalist lifestyle.  And with the exception of a power supply, running water and heat, this baby could be ready to go when I finally find (and can afford) to buy my land in the country.  Imagine getting to homestead on a couple of acres instead of just my tiny backyard.  I would gladly trade outdoor square footage for indoor space.  :)

The actual design I think I'm working toward isn't in the below book, (you can see the virtual tour link at the bottom of this post) but the book is basically a step by step of how to get it built; from the trailer all the way to the strapping and roofing.  I'd be financing a trailer tomorrow if I had the room to get it into my backyard.  :)


 Below is a neat infoGraphic on Tiny Houses... 


 Even if spring isn't coming soon (which I'm hoping isn't the case), I purchased a small outdoor greenhouse to use to start seeds once the overnight temperatures level out more.  Once the greenhouse's temperature stays above freezing overnight, I'm going to start planting some lettuce and some flowers in this.  I have a sensor from our weather station in it so I can check every morning. :)


So far my experiment with Winter Sowing is coming along nicely.  These onions have sprouts growing on them!!  I can't wait until the ground thaws and I can get these in the ground!!  I also have catnip, carrots, & broccoli growing in similar homemade greenhouses. 



Here is how the broccoli is doing...


I am a busy-body though. LOL  And I have quite a few projects in the works.  Here are a few completed projects:

Hanging toilet paper holder for a friend....

....some homemade canned veggie soup...

and I'm also in the process of making a set of reusable paper towels, some cloth napkins, and downsizing my entire house.  It's just amazing how much junk I've been holding onto!!

See something you like?  That you would like to make or have made?  Just drop me a line and I'll be happy to help you out in any way!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment