Facebook Twitter Instagram RSS Feed

The Chair From Three Years Ago.....

Have you ever had a project sit there for YEARS just daring you to finally do something to finish it?

Enter the glider rocker that came from the trash.  Yes, I honestly saw it sitting at the curb in all it's broken glory

The arm was broken off, and it was missing the seat cushion.  But, as usual, I saw potential so I just had to have it. 

For all my country habits, I'm not a country or "Primitive" gal in terms of how I like my house.  I like clean lines & a clean feel, so a lot of my home is black & white.  I figure if I want to enjoy nature (until I get my cabin in the woods) I'll just head outside.

With that being said; the first thing I did was fix the arm of the chair with some wood glue and a dowel rod and then paint the whole thing black.


And then it sat........
for 3 years, collecting dust.

Until yesterday, when I finally got the ambition and made a final decision on what was to be done with the darned thing.

I have a pregnant niece who cannot afford a new chair.  As we are talking about it, I think, "Hey!  I have the one in my garage.  Why not do it up to match her nursery?"

So I did!

I got out the cushion and my owl fabric- she's got an owl obsession with this baby.  The last one was all monkeys. LOL

I folded the fabric in half lengthwise and pinned and cut a pattern around it matching the curve of the cushion.  And then I realized, the ties on the cushion were horrible!  Out came the seam ripper to get those bad boys off of there.  I cut two 3" strips of the same owl fabric and proceeded to make new ties.  I have 3 seams total on those, the one to stitch it into the roll, and then two more on the outside, down each side, to make it more sturdy.  The old ties were loops that went over the back of the chair.  I just made ties for the new ones, as I just like to be able to adjust it.


A little edge stitching on my machine, cutting the notches through the fabric for the new ties, and then blanket stitching the bottom shut and we have this....


 Don't mind the mess- like I said; it's out in the garage.

Super cute already right??

Then I cut a piece of foam, the craft kind, down to the size of the seat.  I repeated the fabric fold pattern for the seat cushion, just keeping it square and stitched up the sides.  I made sure it was SUPER snug, and then blanket stitched the back shut.

And here it is!!


Here is the same pattern in fleece that I made her a tie blanky to match the chair.  Every little one needs a cozy blanket to get to sleep with!!


And that is the saga of the chair that took me 3 years to decide what to do with it, and 1 day to actually finish it. :)





0 comments:

Post a Comment